Sunday, December 25, 2011

New Year's Art Idea

As the lights twinkle on the tree for a few more days, some of you may be thinking ahead to projects for the new year. As a teacher, I am always thinking about what type of project I should have ready to go for decorating the class with a new season or holiday approaching. Here is a fun idea I had that you may like.
A number of years ago, a friend drew this outline for me. I enlarged it to about 5 inches tall or so. I print out two for each child on card stock or construction paper. I then invite our 4th grade buddies to our room to work on these with us. The children first decorate all of the "snow child" with crayons, markers, and colored pencils. They draw a hat, a jacket (and maybe a scarf), pants, and snow boots. My student gets one and the 4th grade buddy gets one to do. I have the 4th graders encourage their kindergartener to make patterns for the jacket and hat and use details such as checkers or stripes. I then supply cloth pieces, sequence, and small jewels for them to decorate their person with. I ask the students NOT to decorate a face. While they are working, I go around the room and take a close-up picture of their face. I then print out the pictures on my Epson Picture Mate (wallet size). I cut a circle around the child's face and then have them glue their own face to the "snow child". For the purpose of privacy, the next picture is the completed project without the pictures glued on yet.


I then tape the projects together on the back of their "hands". I alternate a kindergartener and a 4th grade buddy all the way across the back of my room. The entire project ends up looking like a string of paper dolls.The children LOVE to see these hung up with them as they come back from a long break at Christmas without seeing their buddies. If you'd like a copy of the "snow child" template, please contact me and I will send it to you.
Happy New Year!!!!


2 comments:

  1. Great idea! My kinders have 2nd grade buddies; this would be a fun activity!

    Welcome to the blogosphere! ReadWriteSing

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is a fun thing for them to do together. This year, we had the children each make two so that the buddies could hang a set up in their classroom as well. Thanks for your comment and welcome!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...