Sunday, January 15, 2012

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

 Here are some of the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s that my students made while learning about his life this week. Please refer back to my 1-4-12 blog entry to learn how your students can make this. A 4th grade buddy noted that she loved the fact that kindergarteners can make "the same" art project, but none of them really look "the same". As mentioned in my previous post, these projects really do help the students to easily identify him. As they are able
identify him, they remember many more facts about him. I was really amazed at how many things they remembered about him after the time we spent learning about his life (and death) these last two weeks. Teaching the children about things that Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. stood for always breaks my heart a bit. I can see confusion and disbelief on their faces as I share with them some of how our country used to behave on a large scale. Truthfully, I don't have the heart to share with them that things haven't changed 100% to this day. I focus on the good changes that came about as a result of his peaceful efforts. I feel I can't teach about his life without teaching about his death as well. I explain that not everyone wanted things changed for the better and that one of those people did kill him. I am curious to know how other teachers of kinders and first graders teach about his life and what he stood for. If you do, please leave a comment to let me know.We will be following the art project up with an "I Have a Dream" writing project this week.Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to know what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...