Monday, July 23, 2012

Teach Your Students How to Manage a Paper Trail


I just learned how to shoot, edit, and produce my own movies for class. Here is my first one for you!


I like to empower students by giving them a job to do in the classroom. They feel valued and appreciate having something important to do that directly supports the classroom. I used to waste a lot of time passing out and collecting papers. Has this ever happened to you? You pass out papers and by the time you have given your last student a paper, the first students are already writing all over the paper, thinking they know exactly what is supposed to be done, only to find out they did it entirely incorrect and you have to go fish them out another paper and take even more time away from teaching. This used to happen to me all the time until I came up with a "Paper Manager" job. Now, the students do all the passing out and collecting for me. I no longer have students bouncing out of their chairs while yelling, "I'm done!" Twenty-something "I'm done"s and papers thrown all over my desk was not working for me. Now, no one leaves their seat and all the papers are organized by table group for me to go through at the end of the day. I have even found that this has made it easier to determine just which student did not put a name on a paper since they are divided by table group.



I hope you find this idea useful! Please let me know if you have an idea for another helpful classroom video you would like to see!


Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Hey, great job with your video. Have to learn that myself. Your students work so fast! :) Seriously, I have a paper manager and they always manage to drop the papers or deliver the papers they collect in such a mess... Takes lots of practice. Brilliant to have them in folders by table. Will do it!

    Thanks. Sara
    kinderaffe2ndgraders.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great video, Christina! Did you already start school this year? Or was that summer school? Hope to talk to you soon.

    Sharon Dudley, NBCT
    http://teachingwithsight.blogspot.com

    P.S.: I just re-did my blog to make it a little more colorful and magical. If you can, stop by and tell me what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I LOVED your video! Super idea - I'm definitely using that this year. What program(s) did you use to make your video? It was so cute. I found your blog through your TPT link. I'm really enjoying the technology postings. I also teach at a Christian school and I just started blogging and opened a store at TPT. I'm your latest follower. Thanks so much for these great posts!
    Melissa
    Teacher Treasure Hunter

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Melissa! I use this in my classroom all the time and it REALLY helps! To make my video, I just shot some video with my Samsung One Touch video camera (it is like the older flip cameras). I put the video onto my computer and edited it using Windows Movie Maker Live (which is super easy....I know almost nothing about video editing). I didn't edit the audio but you could do that using a free online software called Audacity. I will come check out your blog. What is your TpT store?
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...