Monday, August 13, 2012

Use QR Codes to Teach Reading

Have you seen these everywhere? Do you know what they are or what they do?
It is called a QR code and it is a 2 dimensional matrix of square dots. These codes were originally used in the automobile industry to track cars during the manufacturing process and have become uber popular because they hold much more information than a standard UPC code. 

Now, QR codes are also used as a marketing tool to bring customers to a website for instant information about specific brands. In order to get the information from the QR code, you must download a QR code reader. On my Droid phone, I did a search for a free one in the apps store and downloaded it to my phone. My son has a few iTouches he has moved on from as he upgraded, so I am downloading QR code readers to them and putting them in a reading center.

Guess what? Teachers can create these (in seconds) and use them to teach reading! Simply visit the website: http://www.qrstuff.com/ which is a free QR code generator website. I used it to create the QR code above for my website. I also used it to create word families for a reading center. 

Section 1: Data type: scroll down to plain text.
Section 2: Content: type in words you want students to read in a list.
Section 3: Choose what color you would like the QR code to be. You can just leave it black if you prefer.
Section 4: Download the QR code under the preview.

After downloading it, save it as a .png file and put the picture anywhere you would like. You could print it out and put it on a poster with directions for what to do with the iTouches. Teach students how to open the QR code reader and hold it over the QR code. The list you made automatically shows up and the student can practice reading those words! They can then use those words to write a sentence and draw a picture.

Here are some QR codes I created in under a minute each: if you have a smart phone or an iTouch with a camera, see if you can scan these and read the lists I created.
ap word family

at word family

en word family

it word family

op word family

ot word family
Are you using QR codes in your classroom? Do you have an idea for how to use QR codes in the classroom? Leave a note and let me know!

Enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. Fun! I've used QR codes to do review scavenger hunts around the classroom or school. I number the codes and each code has a clue to lead them to the next code.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great idea! Thanks! I think it would be fun to try that!

      Delete
  2. I LOVE this idea....definitely going to use this in my classroom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think they could manage it and have a great time learning in a new way.

      Delete
  3. I'm using a QR code to connect parents to my contact info (found on Pinterest). Then can instantly email me, go to my class website, etc. I'm really looking forward to using them my K classroom this year too!
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your idea, do you have a post about how to do that?

      Delete
  4. How do you do the QRs that speak to you when you scan on your iPhone or iPad?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use the free app called "Audioboo". The students can read what they want into the microphone on your computer. The audio file is then saved with an "http" url. You can then use a QR generator (I like qrstuff.com) to make the QR code for that audiofile. Then you can print a paper copy of the QR code and put it wherever you want. My students drew landforms and wrote what they learned about that landform. They then spoke what they wrote into my computer and I did the steps above. I printed a QR code for each one and glued them to their picture. Other students then took the iPad and scanned the code to hear what their classmates wanted to teach them about the landform. You need to make sure the iPad or iPod or Droid item they use has a QR reader app placed on it for them to be able to scan the code. I hope this info helps, it was A LOT of fun to do. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...