Monday, November 12, 2012

Free Pilgrim Craftivity

As I introduce my students to Thanksgiving, we begin to create things that we can use to decorate the classroom. I love this craftivity because it highlights the fact that the early pilgrims from England dressed a lot differently than people do today. Today, I will share with you how we create a pilgrim boy.

Tomorrow, I will teach you how we create a pilgrim girl.



In two days, I will wrap this craftivity up by teaching you how to make a native person that can be altered to make a boy or a girl. 



For the pilgrim boy:
                                                                                                            

Each child will need:
  • (1) pink rectange (a 9x12 inch piece of paper cut into 4th's makes 4 faces)
  • (1) 4x5 inches black rectange for top of hat
  • (1) 1.5 x 6.75 inches black rectangle for hat brim
  • (2) pieces of hair, each 1 x 4.5 inches (I try to give options so boys can choose hair color that matches closely to their own)
  • (1) 2 x 2 inch yellow square for buckle on hat
  • (1) .5 x .5 inch black square for center of yellow buckle
Step 1:

Turn face tall way and glue hair to bottom edge on both sides.

Step 2: Glue top hat rectangle to top of head. Lower it until you like where it sits. (Warning: have students only put glue on the forehead of the pilgrim and then place the hat, otherwise you will have glue all over your work surface.)


Step 3: Slide a line of glue right across his forehead from side-to-side where you want the brim to sit.


Step 4: Glue the yellow buckle to the center of his hat.



Step 5: Glue the small black rectangle to the center of the buckle.



Step 6: Add a face. I teach my students to draw two ovals in black. They then draw a circle in the middle of the oval and draw a tiny black dot in the center. Color the circle whatever eye color they want. Color the outside of the colored part white. I teach them to draw a nose with an "L" and a nice smile with an opened "u".



Come back tomorrow and the next day to find out how to make the pilgrim girl and the natives. I will also share a picture with you that shows how I use these to make a really cool display in my classroom.

If you like this, please take a moment to let me know!
Enjoy!

If you'd like some other really fun freebies, click on the button below to go to Classroom Freebies Manic Monday! 



Classroom Freebies Manic Monday

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. You are welcome! Thanks for taking a look:)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing! Can't wait to see the rest! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! I am glad you will come back to see the other ones!

      Delete

I would love to know what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...