Friday, June 21, 2013

School District Frustration: Please Help

Hello Fellow Educators,

I find myself in a bit of a predicament for the upcoming school year and I am putting myself out here to see if others have gone through similar situations and have any advice.

As we all know, not every school fits every child. My son is an amazing high school boy. He happens to be a very high functioning, mildly Asperger child who has never had to have an IEP, 504 plan, or any type of accommodations made for his school career. 

 I have almost always been extremely choosy about what type of school he attended. In his 8th grade year, he attended an amazing middle school that was mostly a parent-participation charter school. He loved it, had friends, and did well overall. The following year, people from that charter school opened a charter high school with 9th and 10th grade students. Only 44 families participated and the school did not grow. 

I attended the first board meeting and asked about whether or not the school would be going through the WASC accreditation. I was assured that our school which lies in the San Jose Unified School District was going to be given something called "preliminary accreditation" and have the three years to finalize their accreditation.

In March of the same school year, parents were told that the school would no longer be viable, due to lack of enrollment and attrition. Parents were furious that it wasn't made more obvious sooner that the school was in trouble and they formed a task force to raise funds and awareness about what the school had to offer and the board voted to extend the time period in which they decided to close the school. In fact, based on how hard the parents worked, they actually did this twice. It was decided in May that the school would close.

Now, in the thick of summer, we find ourselves caught in a game. We are told that the San Jose Unified School District will accept the credits by our students. However, because we don't live in their district, we are put on the 3rd wait list for those schools. Our own home district refuses to accept even 1 credit because the charter school was not yet accredited. We are forced to put our students into "credit recovery" summer classes in our own school district now in case those wait lists don't pan out and we have to attend our own school. We are being reminded by those people that are "helping" us that they did not plan on having to help us this summer and that they are having to put themselves out to even come up with any type of plan because we made "a bad choice". I have even gone as far as asking if I can just have my child repeat the freshman year in the district and was told that he can not. He has to spend the next three years doing summer credit recovery and will probably have to also do some evening classes as well just to make up enough credits. How is he supposed to have time to study for his day classes?

I contacted the Santa Clara County Office of Education who told me they have absolutely no jurisdiction to help us because the Campbell Union High School District policy states as such: Transfers from Non-Accredited Schools: "When a student transfers from any non-accredited private, public, alternative, home or charter school, academic credit shall be subject to approval by the principal or designee at the enrolling school. Credits transferred from non-accredited schools shall not be accepted." I told them that this paragraph contradicts itself within itself and basically allows both the district and the department to not have to do anything for us.

I am now attempting to contact the district Superintendent...which I fear will give me the same run-around.

If anyone out there has any constructive ideas (please no derogatory rants), I would so appreciate any help with advice.



  1. Sorry I have nothing to offer, except to say good luck with your fight and stay strong in this seemingly impossible fight you are in. Hopefully somebody will do what they need to to help these kids.
    The Picture Book Teacher's Edition

  2. I don't have an answer, either, but I am so sorry that you are all going through this struggle. I hope the answer is soon to come!
    :-)Chrissy ReadWriteSing

  3. Christina, I'm so sorry! This sounds like such a mess! Have you thought about not even trying to send your son to public school but having him do some sort of coursework in a home school program or online? That might get him his GED early. If he has the GED, he can start college classes even before he's 18.

    Let me know if there's anything I can do to help you. I am sending you lots of good thoughts and love.

    Sharon Dudley, NBCT
    Teaching with Sight

  4. oh wow! Is there a way to do the home school component and have him test out? This sounds like a nightmare for all of you. :(


I would love to know what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...