Tuesday, September 16, 2014

My New Favorite Pencil Sharpener

It sits in the corner in the back of my classroom. A fitting place for something so annoying. I try so hard to ignore it, but I can not, no matter how hard I try. I had such high hopes for that brand new electric pencil sharpener. It hasn't even been in business for more than 2 months, yet it doesn't really get those pencils that sharp. I wish it had an automatic sensor to determine when the pencil did get sharp because some of my five year olds just stand in front of it, holding onto their pencil and endlessly run the motor. I think it mesmerizes them. 

Recently, I visited a co-worker's classroom who actually giggled and said, "I want to show you my new coolest classroom tool." She showed me an amazing pencil sharpener from Classroom Friendly Supplies.
I was a bit skeptical. It looked similar to other sharpeners when it was closed, but then she pulled it open to insert the pencil and I was intrigued. I watch her sharpen a brand new pencil in less than 9 seconds to a needle-sharp point. And it was soooooo quiet compared to the drone of my electric sharpener. When she emptied it, the drawer slid open and came out easily. When replacing the drawer, it didn't matter which end you pushed in. It fits no matter which way you turn the drawer. There is nothing to line up and miss such as what happens when the drawer is pulled out of my electric sharpener.

This sharpener works fine as a stand alone on a desk. You simply have to hold on to the top of the sharpener while you spin the handle around. However, it comes with a clamp that you can use to attach it securely to a surface. 



I have attached mine on a shelf in my classroom, far away from the back corner of my classroom. The students have begun to love this sharpener more than the electric one, so I have started to using it as a motivator. Students who are following directions in class and trying their best can choose to sharpen their pencil on this sharpener themselves. I LOVE that students don't get caught up with staying at this sharpener as it has a built in way to stop once the pencil is sharp. The top slides in as the pencil sharpens and stops once it returns to the body of the sharpener. At that point, the handle will just swing around, but the student won't receive any tactile response anymore, so they slip their pencil out and get back to work.

This is a fabulous sharpener. As I weighed the pros and cons of the sharpener, I began to think about the time it takes to sharpen the pencil and guessed that with the hand crank, using this sharpener would take longer than my electric sharpener. What do you think happened when I timed both sharpeners? I was surprised to find that they each took about the same amount of time. I sharpened both in about 8-9 seconds. 

Students can now sharpen their pencil in a short time without disturbing the rest of the class or my lecture time. I LOVE this sharpener and highly recommend this product to all of you.

This sharpener from Classroom Friendly Supplies is a tool loved by all who get to try it. If you get a chance to try one, you won't be disappointed.

Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. I would love to try this pencil sharpener.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bev, if you contact Classroom Friendly Supplies and do a write up review of their product, they will GIVE the sharpener to you!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...