Monday, February 2, 2015

Valentines Day Math and Writing Activities


How fun was it to start the week out on Ground Hog Day? Our students loved it. I showed them some PowerPoints about the day and they were so funny. They thought it was ridiculous that a ground hog looking at his shadow could tell us that there would be six more days of winter!

As we look at February and have only 11 more days until winter vacation, I've been looking for some great ways for them to enjoy integrating Valentines Day into our activities. I found some great ideas and I'd love to share them with you!


Click on image to view original Pinterest link

Cathy Wolfram at Adore Your Place is an interior designer and a mother of three children. She created this beautiful picture for the teacher as an end-of-the-year picture. In our class we make a memory book and if I could possibly get my classful of kinders to stand still for two seconds, I think I would LOVE to make this to include in each of their books. I think I will do our picture on a red paper background. It would be really cute with patterned paper too.


Click on image to view original Pinterest link

Littlebins has some really terrific Valentines Early Learning hands on math activities. This pin will take you to some really engaging math fun.
#1: Counting by 10's
#2: Patterning
#3: Math Game
#4: Graphing
#5: Water Bead Math
#6: Number recognition, 1:1 counting to 20

All of these great activities use some really cute math manipulatives!


Click on the image to view original Pinterest link



Finally, Mrs. T's First Grade Class has some sweet Valentines Day activities. I thought this writing project was terrific. She offers a free printable with the prompt that states: "I once was a candy heart and now I am a....." The idea is that you take a candy heart from the conversation heart candy box and create a picture around it. In this example above, she turned her heart into a cat nose. For younger students, you can simply have them write the name of what they turned their heart into. For older students, encourage them to add some adjectives, adverbs, and prepositional phrases to make the sentence sound more interesting.

If you'd love to find some more excellent February Fun Finds, check out what these bloggers have found for you to do!





Enjoy!



6 comments:

  1. LOVE the end-of-the-year picture idea!
    Thanks and have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such great pins! The heart hands so so adrorable! Thank you for lilnking up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great ideas! I want to do the conversation heart writing for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such great ideas! Thanks for sharing and linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the candy heart writing prompt!! That would be a wonderful activity for my kids to do even though Valentine's Day is past.

    Heather
    The Busy Busy Hive

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...