Friday, March 20, 2015

Reading and Writing is FUN!

This week has been one of those weeks where I have had a number of entertaining moments as a teacher. I feel like someone could have put up a sign that says, "You know you are a teacher when...."







I mean, how can you argue with that? Birds DO do that in the spring. (Yes, I just wrote Do do....and it wasn't meant to be a Freudian slip, but it works.) Needless to say, I'm not so sure the parent would be pleased to see my little genius's work of art up with everyone else's, so we discussed option number two and went with that.

The next day, I came to school and collected homework. One of the parents had a cute story to share with me. Her son had rocked his reading homework so well, he started with a bunch of "one-liners". 



His lines are so hilarious! "Man, Mrs. Aronen will be so IMPRESSED!" "I'm on FIRE tonight!" The best one...."Mrs. Aronen so loves guys who can read by themselves!" Oh.my.word. How cute is that? It made me feel so happy that he thoroughly enjoyed the activity with his mom. To make it even better, if you love those cute kid voices from the Welch's Grape jelly commercials, that's his voice. To a "T"!

And now for what REALLY made my week. Thanks to an AMAZING product created by DeeDee Wills, my students were BEGGING to write this week. I'm really not exaggerating at all. I came across her March Writing Station by way of her blog post. I set up her station in my room and showed the students how to make their writing choices. I made a big deal about the fact that it was something they could CHOOSE to do when they finished their work. Ummmm....LOOK HOW POPULAR IT WAS IS!!!!



They LOVE the station because the "I Can" statement posters show them that they CAN make lists and they CAN label pictures and they CAN make a book and they CAN write a story and they CAN make a card for someone. Look at all the beautiful picture cards with vocabulary they have in one place to use to write. I was a bit blown away by the fact that my MOST RELUCTANT writers actually CHOSE to write a story!! This product really empowered my students and has given them a boost in their writing self-esteem. If you want to see this much enthusiasm with your young writers, head on over to DeeDee's store. She has a writing station for EVERY month. She even put them together in a bundle at a discount if you'd like one of each.

I hope your week ends great. We've had a terrific one.

For more tips, follow me on Facebook and Teachers Pay Teachers.


Enjoy,







2 comments:

  1. I LOVE this post!!! Everything about it!! I can't wait to check out the writing center. I've been too distracted this week but I'm going to check it out Monday!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That’s a great article! Those wordings of your Phoenix kindergarten student are very cute. It really brought a smile to my face. Thanks a lot for sharing such a cute story with us!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...